Tuesday, May 17, 2011

100th Race of the Bay to Breakers

We made it!

Okay, so this is more of a personal journey than any real news.  If you have received any of my tweets last weekend, you know I ran and finished the race (yay!).

This is something I have wanted to do for the past 20+ years, but never gave it serious thought.  It really started last year when my family took a cruise for our summer vacation… oh yes, the prime rib, lobster and six nights of chocolate melting cake!  At the end of the cruise I walked off the ship with a nice suntan, completely relaxed, and weighed the most I ever have in my life.  I decided something had to give, so for the first time in my life, I decided to get in shape.

For the next 6 months I exercised, almost compulsively… but that story is for another time.

My wife and I arrived in San Francisco at 6:15am and headed to Corral ‘C’ for a 7am start.  It was a bit chilly in the morning, but I managed to be comfortable wearing shorts.  If you know anything about the Bay to Breakers race, then you know I was much more dressed than many runners that parading around in their birthday suits (yikes!).  We jogged the first couple miles, and then took it easy.  There is one hill in the middle of the course, which brings you past a nice landmark, the Painted Ladies, a group of Victorian homes on Steiner Street, which you can see the San Francisco skyline with the Transamerica and BofA buildings peering over the rooftops. 

We walked and jogged much of the rest of the course, and took our time to see the sights.  There many creative costumed runners and centipedes.  A couple of favorites included the family dressed as Scrabble tiles that spelled “smile”, but as they passed by they had mixed themselves up to spell “slime”.  Then the little girl wearing the ‘s’ ran the right of the group and spelled “limes”.  The other favorite was the royal wedding, which consisted of a manly Kate, a very feminine William, and the entire case of characters, including the Queen, Charles and Pippa Middleton.

When we reached the finish, we were both excited, glad it was over and left bit thinking, “well… that was it”.  

What we didn’t realize is we had to walk nearly 2 miles to pick up our medals, t-shirts and to board the bus that took us back to the BART station.

Overall it was good fun and we look forward to the 101st race!

Best Blogger Tips

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget