Thursday, May 26, 2011

Faces at the Lab: Marcia Sullivan


This occasional series shines a light on the Lab’s talented support staff…


Division/Department: EH&S/Radiation Protection Group
Years at the Lab: Nine years in July


What do you do at the Lab? As an Administrative Assistant III, I assist with travel, LETs timekeeping, Routing Authorizations, calendaring, and setting up meetings and events. I also process incoming guests and assist in the interview and auditing process.


What do you like best about your job? The friends I’ve made here, definitely. I also like the beautiful environment.


What would you like people to know about your position? Being an administrative assistant is harder than it looks, so be kind to your admin!


What are your greatest achievements at work? I received two Spot Awards, one for performance and the other for responding to an office flood due to a broken water pipe. I was the Guest House ‘Science of Love’ contest winner, and I’m almost always the last one over the finish line at the Runaround, with my tall pink plume feathers in my hair with boa scarf!


How does your job help make the Lab successful? I facilitate the trips our Health Physicist and Radiation technicians make to keep their training up to date and keep the Lab safe from contamination.


What is the strangest thing that’s ever happened on the job? Brain-tumor tissue from my sister was sent to Berkeley Lab for research. She told me about the donation two days before her passing. She was very proud to leave everything to science and excited that my Lab was able to be a part of the study to help care for future brain-tumor patients.


What saying best reflects your outlook on life? Prayer changes things.


Do you have a unique talent? Jewelry making, you can find me at the Lab Craft Fair every year.
Best Blogger Tips

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget